With the school year just around the corner, there’s no better time to whip up a batch of No-Bake Sultana and Chocolate Chip Muesli Bars. They take only 5 minutes to make – which is perfect for when you’re running around doing a zillion other things! They’re also completely nut-free, making them a great lunch box snack.
There are two tricks to making sure that your no-bake muesli bars don’t crumble. The first is to simmer your butter, sugar, honey and cinnamon mixture until it has thickened and resembles a caramel type sauce. The second trick is to press the mixture down really firmly in the tin before popping it into the fridge. I find the easiest way to do this is to lightly grease the bottom of the same sized tin and then place it over top of the slice and press down firmly. If you don’t have another tin that’s the same size, then a metal spoon works well too.
Store the bars in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. If you need to stack the bars, make sure you place baking paper between them so they don’t stick together!
Preparation: 5 minutes
Makes: 12 bars
- 1 ½ cups nut free toasted muesli
- 1 cup rice bubbles
- 1 cup sultanas
- 125g butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Grease and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
- Place the toasted muesli, rice bubbles and sultanas into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter, brown sugar, honey and cinnamon over a medium high heat.
- Once the mixture is boiling, lower the temperature slightly and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- By this stage the mixture should have thickened slightly and resemble a caramel sauce.
- Stir through the vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid over the muesli mixture and stir quickly.
- Make sure that all of the mixture is coated in the liquid.
- Press the mixture firmly into the prepared baking tin (using the trick of placing another tray on top and pressing down very firmly).
- Sprinkle over the chocolate chips and firmly press down again.
- Place the tray into the fridge and leave for a minimum of four hours (overnight is best) before cutting into bars.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
Lucy: Hi there! My name is Lucy and I’m a food blogger (and a total and utter chocolate addict). I love to whip up incredibly naughty things in the kitchen…. chocolate and caramel are two of my best friends! Come and join me over on my blog Bake Play Smile or on Facebook for some more sugarific baking adventures! xxx