This chocolate egg free dairy free cake by Marianne from Kids, Recipes and Organised Chaos and is great for kids with allergies! It would make a perfect birthday egg free dairy free cake if you have children with allergies attending.
Marianne says “I came up with this recipe because I love pumpkin, but sadly, in my house, I am the only one, so I always have extra pumpkin that needs using up. My kids really loved this cake, and I was happy to be giving them a treat that had veggies in it!”
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
- 2 tbs white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heaped raw cacao or cocoa
- between 3/4 – 1 cup cooked pumpkin
- 1 cup heaped sugar
- 2/3 cup coconut oil (could use butter if dairy is ok, or other veg oil of choice)
- 1, 1/4 cup hot water
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth (or mix by hand)
- Bake in moderate oven, 180?C for around 40 mins or until skewer comes out clean.
I would assume this recipe could be used as a basic vegetable chocolate cake recipe, where you could sub in most cooked veg instead of pumpkin, like beetroot or carrot. Hmmm, maybe even a mix? I imagine it would be nice with a cream cheese icing too – but I imagine most things would taste good with cream cheese icing! Also, choc chips in the cake would be nice, or even some nuts or seeds. My kids devoured this happily, and I hope yours do too.
Hi, I’m Marianne from Kids, Recipes and Organised Chaos. I’m a mother to 4 children, I run a small baking business, specializing in allergy friendly foods part time. Most weeks I have a school lunch post where I give ideas for school (or pre-school) lunchboxes. Head over and say hi if you are in the neighbourhood. To see all of Marianne’s recipes, click here.