By Lauren Cahill
Everyone loves gingerbread at Christmas time! From gingerbread cookie decorations for the tree, to gingerbread houses to sit as a centrepiece on the table. Why not try something different this year and whip up a batch of these Gingerbread Cupcakes. One of our delicious cupcake recipes that is quick and easy.
Makes: approximately 18 cupcakes
200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
200g brown sugar
Pinch of salt
4 eggs, at room temperature
100g golden syrup
230g self raising flour, sifted
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1. Preheat oven to 165 degrees celsius.
2. Place 18 cupcake wrappers in cupcake tins.
3. Place butter, sugar and salt in mixing bowl and cream on medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. If mixture starts to separate, don’t worry, add a tablespoon or two of the flour to bring it back together.
5. Add in the golden syrup and mix well.
6. Add in the sifted flour and spices and mix until just combined. If you over mix, the cupcakes will not be light and fluffy.
7. Fill the cupcake wrappers half way with the mixture.
8. Place cupcake trays in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
9. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
10. Once cool ice with cinnamon cream cheese icing and top with a smartie.
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
310g icing sugar, sifted
125g full fat cream cheese, slightly softened
1. Beat butter and cinnamon in mixer until light and smooth.
2. Add sifted icing sugar and continue to beat until no lumps remain.
3. Add cream cheese, a tablespoon at a time, and mix until combined.
My name is Lauren and I’m a primary school teacher with a passion for baking. Baking for me is a fabulous way to relax and brings me great joy when I see family and friends tasting my creations. I’ve recently become a stay at home mum and love nothing more than baking with my daughter by my side. Click here to see all Lauren’s recipes.