It’s the 5 minute recipe you’ll use over and over and over. Fresh yummy salsa… or if you’re a bit posh – fresh Pico De Gallo! This Pico De Gallo recipe is the simplest way to wow your guests with a bright colourful moreish dip or to simply snack well at home with your tomato loving toddler! The best bit, it takes five minutes to prepare, is kid friendly and is cheap as chips to make.
Easy Pico De Gallo Recipe
Technically this isn’t salsa – salsa is a tiny bit different but it’s so light and bright and tasty nobody is going to worry about technicalities. Salsa tends to be more like a soup (and in fact you can cook specifically to make it soupier) whereas pico de gallo is more like a salad. Pico de gallo is perfect for hot summer days and is so bright and pretty it is a must have for any Australia Day or Christmas Day spread. Best still, Australia’s fab fresh produce NAILS this recipe – some of the best pico de gallo in the world is made right here.
- 4 ripe Roma tomatoes diced and drained of excess juices
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs of coriander, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced or finely chopped
- Fresh chopped chilli, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste (all optional)
- Put it all in a bowl and stir it through, cover and refrigerate
- Drain off any excess liquid before serving
- Serve with corn chips
- Can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to three days
Bright, colourful, fresh and delicious – the perfect Australia Day recipe
While this is a go-to snack in our house (despite the coriander clearly being a herb and herbs being the root of all evil in a toddler’s mind) it’s also the quick, easy way to wow your guests on Australia Day. There’s nothing better than cool, fresh Aussie produce – and it’s ideal for busy mums who don’t have time for faffing about in the kitchen when there’s beer and backyard cricket to get to.
Check out our other fast and fab Australia Day Recipes: