Baby Hints & Tips

Downs Syndrome Screening Results

Downs Syndrome Screening Results

I’m 12 weeks pregnant and had the Down syndrome screening test done. I got the results back today coming in at 1/149. Can other mums please give advice on their similar experiences and if they went on to have further testing done and what was the end result.

Please add your answers in the comments below. Remember to remain respectful and non-judgmental

Share It With Others

Join The Discussion (4 Comments)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  1. AvatarMichelle says:

    Was that the nuchal fold test? or Bloods? My risk due to my age and weight when I got pregnant with my now 8mth old was 1/106. When I went for my scan at 12 weeks they made it a “dating scan” as they told me 12 weeks was too early to tell. I went for a further scan at 14 weeks along with having bloods taken. This reduced my risk to 1/900. If it was a scan I would ask for another one in a couple of weeks.

    If it was bloods I would discuss with my partner how you would both feel having a baby with Down’s. The risk of miscarriage from an amniocentisis is 1/200 so you would need to weigh up the risks of losing your baby that way.

    What I am trying to say is if you knew your baby had down’s would you change your mind on having him/her? My partner and I decided that regardless of our test results we would have the baby but that is your and your partners decision to make if and when you need to make it.

    I wish you all the best and hope everything turns out well.

  2. AvatarMichelle says:

    Hi, I have just delivered a beautiful healthy baby girl after the Michael translucency scan gave us a 1:24 chance if our baby having Down’s syndrome. We chose not to have an amniocentesis or chorionic villus sample as we wanted our baby regardless and after a miscarriage 2 years ago we didn’t want to risk out child. ( both procedures carry a risk of miscarriage)
    We had a specialist sonographer at our 20 week scan, who looked for abnormalities that are consistent with Down’s syndrome, such as heart problems, or problems with babies digestive system. She did not find anything. This changed our percentage to 1:100. We saw her again for a follow up appointment at 28 weeks but there was still nothing, but we did not know for certain until after our baby was born.
    Good luck with whatever decisions you need to make, and I hope our story is helpful to you.

  3. AvatarJoelene says:

    I’m struggling to type this already without tears welling in my eyes. Firstly, my heart is truly with you. At 34, my first pregnancy & no family history, I had the nuchal fold test at 12 weeks. Everything physically looked fine, until the numbers got punched in to the computer…we returned a 1/2 chance! We had to wait a week, the travel hours to Brisbane for a CVS test. We had the test, flew back to Cairns only to recieve the most heart breaking phone call I ever want to get. Luck wasn’t with us. We agonised over our choices & opted to not go through with our much loved & wanted pregnancy. We waited another week (Easter period), went to hospital & I delivered our baby boy. I got to say a short hello before having to say a very long goodbye. I truly hope that you don’t have to go through any of this.

    We fell pregnant again the very next month & I had another CVS test done on my placenta & now we have a gorgeous, happy & healthy 7mth old baby girl.

    Not a day goes by that I don’t shed a tear over our loss, and I hope you won’t have to either.

    My thoughts are with you.

  4. AvatarMegan says:

    I have not had this happen myself, however, those are still fairly long odds. Your baby is likely fine, but you can opt for further testing to be done to be certain. If it were me, I would opt for an amnio so that whatever I chose I could be prepared. Even if you choose to go through with the pregnancy and there is an issue, which is totally up to you, I am not judging either way, it would be helpful to know what the issues will be IF (and that is a huge IF) your baby has Downs. You can then have some help and counseling so you will be best prepared to take care of baby with special needs. Good luck with whatever you decide.