Nothing brings back childhood memories of Christmas like the sight of candy canes. Handed out to all the children in your class at school; it was a tradition. So here’s a grown up twist on the candy cane, because let’s face it, seeing an adult handing out candy canes to all their friends just seems a little strange. Win over family, friends and colleagues with these chocolate cupcakes with peppermint icing, topped with crushed candy canes. All the flavour of a candy cane… in a cupcake!
Candy Cane Crush Cupcakes
Makes: approximately 18 cupcakes
Candy Cane Crush Cupcake Ingredients:
- 200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 200g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 180g self raising flour, sifted
- 4 tablespoons cocoa, sifted
- Smashed candy canes for decoration
Peppermint Icing Ingredients:
- 150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint essence (or more if you’re after a real kick!)
- Splash of milk (if needed)
Method for Candy cane crush cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
- Place 18 cupcake wrappers in cupcake tins.
- Place butter, sugar and salt in mixing bowl and cream on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. If mixture starts to separate, don’t worry, add a tablespoon or two of the flour to bring it back together.
- Add the sifted flour and cocoa and mix until just combined. If you over mix, the cupcakes will not be light and fluffy.
- Fill the cupcake wrappers half way with the mixture.
- Place cupcake trays in the oven and bake for 18-22 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool ice with peppermint icing and top with a smashed candy canes.
Peppermint Icing Method:
- Beat butter in mixer until light and smooth.
- Add sifted icing sugar and continue to beat until pale in colour.
- Add peppermint essence and mix well.
- If icing seems too thick, add a splash of milk until desired consistency is reached.
Looking for more Christmas recipe ideas? Try these gingerbread cupcakes.