See all articles from the Spring Clean Challenge
Clean your house without harsh chemicals. Make your own cleaning products and keep your kids safe from chemicals. Here is our list of 10 homemade cleaning products.
All Purpose Cleaner:
1. Spray: Combine 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/8 cup bicarbonate soda into 1 litres of water. Add to a spray bottle.
2.Spray: Combine equal amounts of white vinegar and water and put it in a spray bottle. Use to clean mirrors, windows, basins, baths, showers, tiles, bench tops, walls, table top, etc.
3. Cleaning Cream: Combine 1/4 cup bicarbonate soda with 1 tablespoon liquid detergent. Add white distilled vinegar until thick and creamy.
Pour 1 cup bicarbonate soda, then one cup hot white distilled vinegar. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then run hot water down the drain.
1. Mop: Add 1 cup of white vinegar to the mop bucket of with 4 litres of hot water (and a few drops of eucalyptus or tea tree oil if you like) to wash most hard floors
2. Grout Cleaner: Combine 3 cups of water, 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 1/4 cup of vinegar. Pour all into a spray bottle, spray on the grout and let sit for 5 min, then scrub and mop clean.
3. Carpet Deodoriser: Combine 1 cup of sifted bicarb soda and 10 drops of essential oil. Mix together then sprinkle on carpets at night and vacuum in the morning. This takes all the smell out of the carpet and is good for those with indoor pets.
1. Bench Spray: In a spray bottle combine equal parts vinegar and dishwashing liquid. Spray, allow to sit for 5 minutes then wipe clean.
2. Kettle Cleaner: Place 1 cup of white vinegar in your kettle and boil it. Empty it and do 2 fresh full water boils to rinse and it cleans it beautifully. Gets rid of calcium and burntbits. A little Bicarb soda used to finish the outside (or inside) scrubs up very nicely
3. Clean Dishwasher: Pour 1 cup of white distilled vinegar inside the empty dishwasher and let it run through a whole cycle. Do monthly.
4. Wash vegetables: Use a dash of white vinegar, do not just rinse under the tap. This gets the pesticide spray off.
Use to wipe surfaces to avoid use of cleaning products. Keeping areas dry will minimise the growth of bacteria and mould. Use at least once a week.
1. Spray: Add white distilled vinegar to a spray bottle and spray to screen. Wipe clean.
2. Spray: Add vinegar and dishwashing liquid to a spray bottle and spray on screen. Rinse off.