This easy cupcake recipe by Lauren Cahill is sure to become an instant crowd pleaser with their hint of coconut and lemony tang. These lemon coconut cupcakes are the perfect option when you are after a light cake for any occasion.
Makes 18 cupcakes
200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
200g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
4 eggs, at room temperature
200g self raising flour, sifted
Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
1 cup desiccated coconut
Extra lemon zest for decoration (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 165 degrees celsius.
2. Place 18 cupcake wrappers in cupcake tins.
3. Place butter, sugar and salt in mixing bowl and cream on medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. If mixture starts to separate, don’t worry, add a tablespoon or two of the flour to bring it back together.
5. Add lemon rind and half the flour – give it a really quick mix (just to combine everything).
6. Add the lemon juice and the rest of the flour. Give the mixture another quick mix until just combined. If you over mix, the cupcakes will not be light and fluffy.
7. Gently fold through the coconut.
8. Fill the cupcake wrappers half way with the mixture.
9. Place cupcake trays in the oven and bake for 18-22 minutes.
10. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then turn onto a wire rack to cool.
11. Once cool ice with buttercream icing and top with a curl of lemon zest.
Easy lemon buttercream icing
150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
300g icing sugar, sifted
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
1. Beat butter in mixer until light and smooth.
2. Add sifted icing sugar and continue to beat until pale in colour.
3. Add lemon juice and mix well.
My name is Lauren and I’m a primary school teacher with a passion for baking. Baking for me is a fabulous way to relax and brings me great joy when I see family and friends tasting my creations. I’ve recently become a stay at home mum and love nothing more than baking with my daughter by my side. Click here to see all Lauren’s recipes.