Recipe by Honey, You Baked!
These biscuits are delicious and a little different from your every day choc chip cookies. Make a few batches before baby arrives and freeze for when you have post baby visitors. It’s nice and easy to just pull from the freezer, slice and pop into the oven for a fresh baked treat!
250g butter, chopped & softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 tspn vanilla
Finely grated zest of one orange
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup of dark choc chips
• If you are cooking your biscuits straight away, preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
• Pop your butter, sugar and vanilla into a mixer and beat until pale and creamy. Add your orange zest and mix in before adding your egg. Beat until combined.
• Add the flour and choc chips to the butter mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
• Turn out onto lightly floured bench. Split the mix into half and gently roll each into a log shape (or as my daughter calls it, a snake), it will be around 30cm long. If you are baking now, carefully slice your snake into 1.5 cm rounds. Place onto tray lined with baking paper. Bake for around 12 minutes or until a light golden colour on top.
• If you want to freeze your dough for later, wrap each snake in baking paper then with cling wrap or into a freezer safe bag to protect from freezer burn. Freeze until required.
• To bake frozen logs: Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Remove dough snakes from freezer around 15 minutes prior to baking. Slice into 1.5cm rounds. Place onto lined trays, around 3cm apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a light golden colour on top. Allow to cool slightly before transferring onto to a wire rack.
Honey, You Baked! is Danni & Mel, two friends and mummies who used to work, cook and play together in Sydney. Now Mel has moved home to Tasmania and the girls spend time blogging about Baking, Making, Books, Babies and just about everything else in between! Drop them a line on facebook or twitter, they would love to hear from you!