There are so many things you won’t be told when you are pregnant about your impending labour. What to wear for labour, pubic hair and labour, what is an episiotomy, pros and cons of an epidural, delayed cord clamping, options for using your placenta and many more tips under our pregnancy tips.
What did you find most comfortable clothing for labour? In all stages? It will just be myself and Hubby in the room with the midwife.
I was naked during labour
- I always intend to wear a nightie or singlet. You will end up naked. Brook
- I just had a sports bra on. By the time you have been examined a few times you have no cares what’s on show and after heavy contractions for a few hours your too warm for clothes. Em
I was naked and spent my labour in the water
- I ended up naked as I had an unplanned water birth but I was just going to wear a big mans t-shirt. Angela
- Nothing! I hoped in the shower as soon as I could and by the time I got out I didn’t want anything touching me. Natalie
- I just wore my bra as I was in the shower on a birth ball. Wear something that is easy to get out of if you want immediate skin to skin after bub is born Jessie
Wear something loose during labour
- I got a big ugly huge black maternity dress from Kmart with my first, it was like $9 or something, it looks like a tent but is so very comfy so I wore that with #1 and #2 and I’ve packed it again for #3 next week, it’s easy to chuck on after the shower and covers everything up. Bec
- I’d say a big t shirt or nighty! I had to wear a hospital gown, but your own clothes would be nicer! You have to keep your bits in easy access to be checked for dilation etc! But honestly, when it came to pushing him out, I took everything off, because I was so hot. And at the time, I totally didn’t care! Rachel
I found a hospital gown the best clothing for labour
- I found it easier to wear just the hospital gown if they get messy it doesn’t matter and they are light to so makes them even comfier also makes it easier form examinations during labour. Sam
- Had a gown on for 2 hours out of 11. Naked the rest. So much easier, went from bed to bath to shower back to bed and just easier to keep it off Lauren
- I was in a hospital gown the whole time, but I was stuck on the bed because of being induced. I bought a couple of black nighties from Kmart but didn’t use them. Kellie
- I wore a hospital gown during labour. It was the most comfortable option for me. Jami
- I just had the hospital gown on for labour, it didn’t matter if it got messy. Sarah
- I bought a nightie a couple of sizes bigger than necessary but ended up being put in a hospital gown anyway Nikki
- Hospital gown with my first baby then singlet and undies for baby number two. Don’t waste money buying anything. Large men’s shirts are good too Emma
I wore a t-shirt and undies during labour
- I had a t-shirt and undies on during labour. I had my partner, my mum, and the midwives in the room. T-shirt was on until after bub was born Sherree
- I was just in undies and a crop top bra. Undies came off when it was almost go time. I did have a little night shirt thing but I couldn’t stand anything on me I was too hot Karli
- I just wore a tank top/track pants. I lost my pants early on but kept on tank. Chloe
- Undies and a ‘ah bra’ crop top. I would’ve felt too constricted in a nightie or gown. Easy access for midwives to listen to bub and ok to wear in bath and shower too. Just rip the undies off when needed and top came off after bub born. Tamsin
- I started with a loose t-shirt with a crop top and yoga pants. Ended up in a hospital gown when I had the epidural and in just a sheet for pushing. I got really hot! The midwives are really good about keeping you comfortable and covered, if you let them know that’s what you want. Kat
I found a nightie comfy to be the most comfortable clothing for labour
- I just wore a nightie. When your contractions become more intense, you have to take your clothes off and wear a hospital gown. Kelly
- A nightie from Kmart they’re anywhere from 4-10 dollars as they are only going to get dirty and for the days in hospital wear loose clothes shorts and singlets and I suggest to buy a size bigger underwear cheap ones that you can throw out after cause I guarantee they’ll end up being dirty. Katisha
More tips for labour:
Getting ready for labour
- Birth plan during labour are they worth it?
- Pregnant now what? Preparing for birth
- Pubic hair and labour
- Preparing for labour
- Hospital bag
- Raspberry leaf tea – pregnancy aide
- What does early labour feel like?
- How long after losing my mucus plug until labour starts?
- Is this braxton hicks or real labour?
- Fastest way to bring on labour
- Induction with gel
- Medically inducing labour
- Elective induction of labour
- Acupuncture to bring on labour
- Membrane sweep to bring on labour
Pain relief in labour
Dads in labour
- How can dad be useful during labour?
- Tips for dad in the labour room
- Dad perspective on what labour and birth is really like
- All you need to know about caesareans
- Preparing for a c-section
- C-section experiences
- C-section with a general anaesthetic
- Positive natural birth stories
- Water birth experiences
- When to get in the birthing pool during labour
- Comfortable clothing during labour
- Breathing technique during labour
- Fast birth. Precipitous labour, all you need to know
- Masturbation during labour
- Poo during labour
- Water birth
- Delayed cord clamping
- Orgasm during labour – fact or fiction?